Welcome to St Clement's
The Website of St Clement's Church, Jersey (Channel Islands)


After the great restoration of the 19th Century, it would appear that the tendency of the Church officials was to put up their feet and say “Thank goodness that’s over for the next hundred years!”

 

We are not far from the truth in saying the above. It was recorded sixty years after the great restoration:- “The dingy, damp stained walls and ceiling are crying aloud for attention.” In the first half of the century, very little was done. In 1901, a new organ (by Alfred Oldknow) was installed for £351, the money from this having been raised by a bazaar in the grounds of Samares Manor.

 

In 1919, a clock was given. In 1935, plans for a new vestry were turned down by the Ecclesiastical Court on the grounds that the Church was not large enough to sacrifice any of its pews. In 1936, Lady Knott of Samares Manor offered a carillon of bells. However, many difficulties arose and this project was soon abandoned. In 1953, a further offer of a gift by Lady Knott, in memory of her second husband, was accepted. This took the form of an oak screen, separating the North side of the sanctuary from the ancient North Chapel, thus making a commodious clergy vestry. The screen was given in memory of Commander Edward Owen Obbard D.S.C G.M R.N, Jurat of the Royal Court, who died on 10th March 1951.

 

A "treasury" in the form of a glass fronted cupboard (pictured) has been built into the wall of the North Transept. This is virtually a handsome showcase for the Church Silver and contains the ancient chalices and baptism dishes. Click on the following link to find out more information on the Dumaresq Baptismal Dish.

 

The treasury was erected in memory of the late Mr V Bailhache, a life long member of the congregation.


View the credits   |   Add site to your favorites   |   Make this your home page