|St Nicholas - Greve D'Azette
On Sunday the 1st May 1927, the congregation of St Nicholas Church officially celebrated the first services held in their new building. The church of St Nicholas started life as a small mission church run by Rev. Lawrence Blackmur Lee, a curate from St Luke's Church, who led meetings in a working man's club room situated in the garden of what is now the Girl Guide Headquarters at Greve d'Azette.
A picture of St Nicolas Church - Greve D'Azette
The popularity of the mission was such that it very soon outgrew the building and Rev Lee, who had previously run a successful mission church in the Canadian copper mining town of Phoenix, was instrumental in obtaining a piece of land on which to build a new church for his congregation. St Nicholas Church was dedicated, by the Bishop of Southampton, on 30th April 1927 and held its first services the next day. After the death of Rev Lee, in 1942, the Parish Church assumed responsibility for St Nicholas and the Rector still leads services today.
A picture of the Altar at St Nicholas Church - Greve D'Azette
The church flourished in its new building and a Church Hall was added to accommodate an ever expanding Sunday School, as well as being available for other Church related activities. Sadly times change and the Sunday School, at one time considered to be amongst the largest in the Island, closed some years ago, and we are left with just a few photographs of those times.
St Nicholas developed a strong link with Brig-y-don children's home, particularly during the years of the German occupation, when Matron would walk her charges, some with severe disabilities, to St Nicholas for Sunday services. There was a scout troop at Brig-y-don which was responsible for forming a cub pack at St Nicholas - which later went on to become the 2nd Greve d'Azette Troop. The troop still meets today in their own hall at Rue de Pres.
We are trying to record as much of the history of our church before it's too late. We should be delighted to hear from anyone who can help us with our research or who have items, or photographs, that we could copy.